join now
Fall Creek Dental
A Great Dentist

What's the difference between a crown and a cap?

It might depend on who you ask!

Dentists refer to these restorations as "crowns." But some patients call the tooth-colored ones "caps" and the gold or stainless steel ones "crowns." Essentially, though, there is no difference.  Both terms refer to restorations that are used to repair a tooth that has suffered damage. The restoration works by covering the remaining tooth structure after removing old fillings, the fractured part of the tooth, and any decay. The restoration material comes in a variety of types, including gold, porcelain, composite, or even stainless steel.

When a patient comes in with a tooth that is damaged enough that a simple filling won’t do the trick, crowns are a great way to strengthen a tooth so it will be fully functional. A crown can be used to repair a tooth that is worn, misshapen, or discolored.

If a dental crown is necessary for you, Dr. Pilgrim will talk to you about what type of crown will be best, depending on your needs and the condition of your tooth.

If you have difficulty using our website, please email us or call us at (715) 877-2113
View the ADA Accessibility Statement